We love one-pan dinners that minimize time spent on clean-up. Our latest uses Spanish rice, a rice, onion, garlic and tomato side dish, as the base with some lean sausages added to make it a meal. Feel free to bump up the hot pepper flakes if you’d like
|Calories 450 cal
|Fat 17 g
|Sodium 350 mg
|Carbohydrate 55 g
|Fibre 4 g
|Protein 20 g
|Source of Fibre
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 3 PC Blue Menu Free From Lean Italian Sausages
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) diced onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) saffron threads
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced vine-ripened tomatoes (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups (500 mL) PC Whole Grain Instant Brown Rice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) thinly sliced green onions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In 10-inch (25 cm) oven-safe frying pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook sausages for 10 minutes, turning one halfway, or until well-browned but not cooked through. Transfer sausage to plate.
2. Return pan to medium-high heat. Stir in onion, garlic and hot pepper flakes; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in saffron threads and tomatoes; cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in rice and 2 cups (500 mL) water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cook for 5 minutes. Nestle browned sausages into rice mixture. Place in centre of oven; bake for 12 minutes or until sausages are cooked through.
3. Carefully remove pan from oven. Transfer sausages to cutting board. Cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices; stir back into rice mixture. Divide among four plates. Serve sprinkled with green onions.